3/6/09

Standing For Something

A friend of ours emailed me a pretty interesting video this morning.  It certainly impressed me.  It is a video of a young woman from Blackfoot, Idaho, who is attending Harvard University.  There, she is the president of the LSA on campus, as well as a member of the Interfaith Council.  This video is a panel discussion on several different faiths conducted by Sally Quinn for the Washington Post's blog, "On Faith." I think what impresses me is how articulate she is, and how calmly she talks about some serious points that are often brought up about the church.  I wish that everyone who does not believe as I do would bring their questions to me or other members of my faith, rather than scouring the internet, and other sources, for out of context information, which can cast the church and its members in a poor light.  

You may have seen this video, as it has spread across the internet like wildfire, but if you haven't, I think it is worth your time.  Sometimes, I think we can become complacent.  We become comfortable in our day to day lives, but how much are we thinking about what we profess to believe, and how prepared are we for questions which may come our way?  I love that in this video, not only does this young woman have great answers and information for the audience, but you can see that the things she shares has personal meaning to her.  One of my favorite things she says is where she quotes a scripture in Corinthians about coming to spiritual knowledge by spiritual means.  That one point matters a great deal in this very secular world.  I am sure the folks at Harvard would be quite unsettled by that idea.  So, Bravo Rachel!  Very well done!


Day of Faith: Personal Quests for a Purpose - 3. Rachel Esplin from Harvard Hillel on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was great! What a neat young lady. It is wonderful to know that we have such strong youth who can go out into the "world" and stand so strongly as a witness of God. And yes, what a good reminder to all of us that we need to be prepared to bear testimony clearly and plainly of the things we know to be true. Thanks for sharing!