4/10/08

Science Fair a.k.a. Homework For Moms




Ok, so last night was our elementary school's science fair. Both Jens and Sam had to participate. You can just imagine my joy and ecstasy when I found out we had to do two science fair projects this year!  Wahoo!  I love homework.  When a third grade teacher requires a science fair project by her students, what she is really saying is, Mom, we don't think you are involved enough in your child's life, and we think we will help you spend "quality time" with him or her, by requiring you to spend multiple hours looking up information, explaining it to your son or daughter, facilitating their experiment, figuring out how to use Microsoft Graphing software, spending more time finding cool pictures to illustrate the lessons learned, and finally putting it all together in a highly artistic way that kids and adults alike will enjoy.  And by the way, make sure your child does all his/her own work. 


JENS' PROJECT



SAM'S PROJECT


So, we dutifully did our projects, and they were successful.  I even think my boys  actually learned something.  But the whole concept of the science fair left me wondering.  I mean, really...last night there was a third grade boy who had a "cement" dam with his name on it, "Taylor dam," with a highly technical motor behind it which hooked to something that looked somewhat  like a cyclone experiment with tubes coming out.  The water was in continual motion, and the apparatus then hooked into another complicated motor which in turn powered a whole Christmas village!  Do you think he did that?  I don't think so....  The science fair has obviously become a way to live out your dreams of winning the thing back in your third grade year when your Mom was smart enough to let you do the whole thing on your own, and not follow the third grade teachers loving attempt at increasing family togetherness.
Anyway, I will update with pictures that include my boys soon, but in the meantime, here are their projects, and a couple that I found online that made me laugh.  This is the Science Fair at it's finest!

ANIMAL MAGNETISM - He's Got It!

CRYSTAL METH - FRIEND OR FOE?

DO VIDEO GAMES AFFECT YOU? 

4 comments:

Lorenzo said...

Too freaking hilarious Liz!!!

Robin said...

do video games affect you?

Made me laugh out loud.

Rachel Rackham Westhoff said...

Liz,
You are A+ in my book friend. I love the bouncy ball one and am stealing it next year for Chase. I completely concur on your take. Science fair projects are torture for parents.

Berly said...

I wonder? Do video games affect you? That picture pretty much sums it all up. Congratulations to Jens. Way to go. Warren is very excited to do science fairs with the girls because he always won. We will see if he remains excited when their time comes.