4/2/08

Eva's Dilemma



So today I had my little dog, Eva, spayed.  She went in heat during January or February, I try to forget which - Yuck!  I have no desire to ever deal with that again, nor do I want the worry of her getting pregnant one day while she is unsupervised outside.  So, I promptly made her an appointment to be spade.  It is the right thing to do.  After all, Bob Barker has closed The Price is Right for 36 years by saying "Help control the pet population.  Have your pet spayed or neutered."
So, today I followed Bob's mantra, I helped control the pet population.  I was a good citizen!  Yeah!

Then remorse settled in.  I was reminded that in the Old Testament all creatures are commanded to "multiply and replenish the earth."  We are supposed to find joy in our posterity.  So, I got thinking, "did I just ruin forever the chances for my little beagle to find joy in this life?  And what about following all of God's commandments?  Does this apply to dogs? Am I responsible for Eva's eternal sorrow at never having pups?!"  Oh, the struggle of a conscience pricked.
Deep breath...ok, reality check; I have five children under the age of of eleven, a husband deployed, and a female dog recently in heat...I suddenly feel much better about my decision.  Though perhaps we should all take a moment of silence for Eva's lost motherhood.  Aaahh....

3 comments:

Robin said...

This is a huge relief to me. For a few reasons:

#1 Ike would be all over me to get one of the puppies and I can hardly keep my own kids alive, much less a dog. So I would be the bad mom...again.

#2 When I call you Eva interrupts our meaningful and rewarding conversation with impatient barks. Add puppies to that I would never be able to chat with you.

#3 See reason #1.

THE MCVEY FAMILY said...

What a post!! My mom and I were reading and laughing at it together. Neither one of us had thought of it that way, but don't you worry-I think you will be just fine. I don't blame you one bit. And, I agree with Robin. Warren and the girls would desperately want one of those pups. So I thank you-

Berly said...

What a blog!! My mom and I were laughing together. We had never thought of it that way, but don't worry about it. I would be very relieved if I were you. Besides, Warren and the girls would be begging for one of the pup. So, I thank you.