4/17/08

A New Language


So, Hooked on Phonics...  Well, it must have failed in our house, because my kids have developed a new way of speaking lately.  Either that, or they are just very gifted, because whenever there is a chore to be done or a reprimand to be given, they start speaking a new language.  Let me teach it to you.  The last word in every sentence  has a new vowel - short a.  And the portion preceding the short a is drawn out longer than usual.  For example, faaair-a, whyyy-a, Mommm-a, nooo-a.  The list goes on.  Finnne-a, roooom-a, meee-a, themmm-a, listennn-a.  Did I mention, faaair-a?  The only word they can't really add the "a" to effectively is "what."  So for good measure, that word is said with head tilted back and arms flailed dramatically to the sides and pronounced, "WHAAAAT?!"  I think this new language is called Whinish.  After I listen to it for a while, I feel like Nephi in Elder Holland's talk, when he said, "Hit me again, I can still hear you."  
I don't really understand this language, but I have discerned "faaair-a" quite well.  I usually reply with one of my favorite quotes, "Life IS pain, your Highness."  I wonder if this language phenomenon will someday intrude on their writing as well as their speaking?  But I tend to think it is a special act reserved only for me.  

7 comments:

the lunch lady said...

oooh, my kids speak that language fluently!

jenn and flay said...

That face is priceless.

Robin said...

Jens is at my house right now screaming "Gosh" over and over with the other boys. But Jens's gosh has a hint of a "R" in it. Almost a "Gorsh" but not quite. It is quite distinguishable and I think it comes from his Utah roots.

Jen and Kent said...

I love the picture of Jens! It is sooo good to hear that it is not only my kids!

R A C H A E L said...

That is so funny! And incredibly annoying at the same time...I don't envy you...

Jeff and Chelsi Pulley Family said...

That picture of Jens is so funny! I just loved reading this entry. I especially liked your retort of "Life is pain your highness." I'll have to remember that one when Talmage learns the lingo. Love ya!

Unknown said...

I wanted to see how your trip went?!?!?!