8/20/08

Remember the Sparrow



Another thing that lead to my increased understanding this summer took place while I was still in Utah.  I received a phone call from a member of my bishopric back home releasing me from my calling as compassionate service leader in my ward.  They said they didn't normally do these things over the phone, but needed to make some changes, and I would not be home for a while.  They then asked me if I would be willing to be a Primary teacher and work with the children at church.  I accepted the call, but it was with a slightly heavy heart, as I realized that this would mean my Sundays would be spent entirely with children, that I would have no adult learning time at church.  So it was, while I was feeling somewhat sorry for myself, that I was chastened.  Immediately this face came to my mind...
 
Yes, Peter.  I would be teaching Peter's class.  What an opportunity for me.  I had been praying and pondering how I could give him the extra love he seemed to be needing, and then this happened.  In a moment of selfishness, I was unable to see that God had His hand in this.  When I was quiet and not whining internally, my eyes were opened, and I knew this was an answer to prayer.  I immediately thought of the scripture in Luke 12: 6-7, where it says:
"Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten of God?  
But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  
Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
It became clear to me, that though the world may say, "he's just a kid," to the Lord, Peter and all His children are of utmost importance.  He knows us all and will do everything He can to care for us.  
I guess this is the main point of my learning this summer.   I became more intimately aware that Heavenly Father does indeed have a grand Master Plan.  It is intricate and woven, but encompasses all we need individually.  This plan in no way took away our agency, but also provided for our mistakes and changes.  The plan to have a Savior was His plan!  He is merciful and loving, and while this in no way diminishes the great power of Jesus Christ and His atonement, it taught me that His Father was in charge.  That He is not only just, but so merciful. He wanted a way to remain just, but provide mercy for his dear children - all of us - so He sent His Son.
I have also realized that within that plan, we are his hands.  I know He has sent Adam and I to all the places we have been because those moves put us in contact with people we needed, and who perhaps needed us.  We have been changed by dear friends, and I hope, we have effected some changes for good in them as well.  There is a song that has really touched my heart this summer called "For Good" from Wicked.  It says in such a beautiful way some of my thoughts about the people God has put into our lives. 




If we, as His children, can love each other, and be willing to be, go, do what He asks of us, where he asks of us, our lives can attain a greatness - a fullness -  we never thought possible.  I am so grateful for this lesson...this knowledge.  I just thought I would share.  So thank you all for being the hands in our lives!  We have been changed for good by knowing you!


7 comments:

Robin said...

Amazing and uplifting post. We need to be reminded that we have not been forgotten. You are so good to find the positive in what could be a grumpy situation.

R A C H A E L said...

Thank you Liz. I was having a hard time with being called to primary, and this helped me out. You are such a great woman.

jenn and flay said...

Beautifully put. I know I am grateful for Andrew's primary teachers. They do an amazing job. You have the chance to shape these kids' Gospel experience. That is a huge responsibility and you will do an amazing job.

Jen and Kent said...

Thank you so much for sharing all of your wonderful experiences!!! I am so thrilled that you also get to be Kates teacher too. What a blessing for us!!!

Berly said...

Thanks LIZ. Well written and I love that song.

Unknown said...

you are such a blessing to SO many people. She is so lucky to have you as a friend - you're honest and caring, few people have the whole package like you do.

Molly said...

Oh Liz-
So I haven't been to your blog forever. But I got the link to Stephen and Amber's and I was just getting re-aquatinted with everyone's. Of course this particular blog left me crying my eyes out. :) I'm so grateful that you and Adam were living the way you were supposed to so that you could be where you needed to be. :)
And man oh man do I love your boys. That picture of Pete is so precious.
I'll try and call you again today.
Love you,
Molly