8/20/08

Summer of Growth

So, I know I already filled you all in on a lot of the events of the summer, but I wanted to add a couple of things, and talk about some things I have learned. I might break this down into a couple of posts.
Well, first, let me go back a couple of months. As most of you know, I took a trip to Seattle this summer. This was the beginning of a very important time in my life. I went to Seattle for what was supposed to be a simple trip to show support for a former student of mine. Instead, I was given an amazing and unexpected missionary experience. I don't want to go into great detail here, but I will say, that I took a give away Book of Mormon with me for myself, and ended up leaving it with my student and friend, Amalitta. She has, since that time, been reading on a daily basis, had the missionary discussions, and is planning to be baptized on the thirteenth of next month. It has been amazing to be a part of this process. To be in the room as the Spirit flooded her heart, as well as mine has been a privilege I will not forget.

Amalitta

After I left Seattle, my heart felt so full, and experiences with Amalitta were really only beginning.  The experience in Seattle helped me prepare for my talk and dance for Young Women's camp.  I thought that what had happened with Amalitta had given me insight and inspiration regarding what I should say to these young girls.  I hope that even one of them felt as touched as I did as I spoke to them in the midst of the beautiful mountains.  I felt impressed to share some of what had happened with Amalitta with the YW.  The topic was standing for truth and righteousness, and I was asked to incorporate my lifetime in the field of dance and the arts into my talk.  As I thought about this, I felt that nothing was more important than the fact that I was able to share my love of dance with my students, and in a more quiet way my love for God, as I showed my students that I knew who I was and who they were. 
 I have always strived to combine these things to help my students grow, and it was so nice that I could say that maybe I had been able to reach at least one girls heart, that I was able to, with God's help, be an instrument in his hands to bring the knowledge of the gospel to Amalitta.  The whole experience at girl's camp was very sweet to me.  The Spirit was strong, and I was impressed by this wonderful group of girls! 


1 comment:

R A C H A E L said...

So great to hear that she is getting baptized. You need to share that with the YW.