8/27/08

My Husband


I just wanted to take a moment to share my husband with you.  There is no special occasion.  Just thinking of him a lot lately.  As many of you know, he has been deployed for the past year, and we are not through.   We still have a little time left.  I am excited for his return, and it can't come fast enough!  

Adam and I met...well, I will tell you his version and mine, because I don't remember his.  He says that one day he spent the night with his best friend Layne, who happened to live in my neighborhood, (a fifteen mile canyon, not really a neighborhood) and the next morning he rode the bus to school with Layne.  He was in eighth grade and I in fifth.  He said that Layne said something to him about me and pointed me out.  Adam remembers thinking I was a cute little girl, but that I talked way too much.  I always think that probably not much has changed there.  Now as for me, I remember being in ninth grade, and coming over to his house to hang out with his brother, Ben, and some of our friends.  Adam was there with his girlfriend Candi, and for me at that time he was really just a guy in passing.  But I thought he seemed like a guy who knew what he wanted, and maybe, usually got it.  
A year later, when I was sixteen, we went on a few dates.  He was nineteen, and getting ready for a mission, so I of course was surprised he seemed to like me, as I was just a sophomore in high school.  But there was undeniable chemistry there.  When he asked if he could kiss me, I was surprised, but impressed by his gentlemanly behavior.  When he went on his mission, I liked him, but had no intention of waiting for him.  I was young, and didn't think that he was that interested in me for the long haul, to be honest.  That realization lead me not to write to him for several months.  But one day I decided it was stupid not to write at all, so I got out pen and paper.  It was not long after this, that he asked me to write him weekly.  I said I would, but was still not waiting for him.  However, we shared some wonderful letters, and I was more impressed with him all the time.


I dated a lot while he was gone, and even had a couple boyfriends, but I kept writing.  When he got home, in June of 95', I was just ending a relationship that was not very good for me, and Adam's brother, Ben, suggested that since we had written throughout Adam's mission, that maybe I should stop by the house one night after a play Ben and I were both in.  I was very hesitant, but went by late that night, nonetheless.  To make a long story short, I didn't meet up with Adam till about midnight.  I remember he had just taken a shower, and when he came out to the living room, I thought he seemed a little stunned to see me.  I went to shake his hand, and he pulled me into a hug.  I was really surprised.  Anyway, after that we walked around his neighborhood, where we ended up in Gazebo talking.  That night, he once again asked me if he could kiss me.  He was so sweet that night.  He made me feel so safe and so valued.  It was such a good feeling.


Well, the rest of our dating seemed a whirlwind.  I knew in my head that I should be scared at how fast things were moving, but I was never afraid to be with Adam.  Every time he held me then, and to this day it remains, I felt so completely safe and warm and loved.  We were married five months after that first kiss (post-mission).


Some of my favorite things about Adam are:
He is...
Energetic Driven
Intense
Funny
Romantic
Thoughtful
Loyal
Spiritual
Passionate
Smart
Adventurous 
Strong
Humble

We have had a wonderful life together!  I love you, Honey!  We were meant to be, and you make my life better each day...Miss you!
    
           




12 comments:

Jen and Kent said...

What a wonderful love story!! I love hearing couples dating stories. Thanks for sharing!

Berly said...

Liz-
That put the biggest smile on my face!! What a great read. I LOVED IT!! I think you 2 together are awesome.

the lunch lady said...

we can't wait for him to be home for you!

Unknown said...

you're a great writer on top of everything else. you inspire me to be a better person - you and Adam are beautiful together, and knowing that is sooner than later is really exciting!

daveanddebbie said...

What a great story! Your strength amazes me! I can't begin to imagine what this year has been like for you, but you put your trust in the Lord and seem to make the most of an otherwise challenging situation. I have to agree with Joyana, you are an inspiration to me as well.

R A C H A E L said...

Awww. What a great story. Adam knew what he wanted for sure. ;) I am so glad that he will be home soon!! You are awesome Liz!

Lorenzo said...

Chips n' salsa, toast n' jam... yes you've got a very fine man. Carmel n' apples, cheese n' knife... and that very fine man has an AMAZING wife! Chin up, only two more of the longest months of your life to go! I hope you knock-out that nasty cold soon-- Tchuse! Tam

Dani said...

I love hearing dating stories, especially from people i know! hehe! anyways i have been thinking about you recently and hope everything is wonderful for you. Thank you again for speaking at girls camp, i think about your talk a lot and can't thank you enough for coming and doing that for us. Love you!

Rachel said...

What a great story! He is definitely your "Edward", I know you'll know what I mean. It will be a wondeful reunion when he returns.

Kristen said...

What a great story! I knew he chased you before and it sounds like he is still doing it. You are a wonderful couple and great friends. We appreciate you! Can't wait for the reunion!!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Liz, My email address is jpiper69@hotmail.com . Email me and I'll send you an invitation to my blog! I love keeping up with all my Colorado friends!