9/21/08

Children's Lit

"Excuse me.  I'm reading here..."

So, I was thinking on Friday when I posted my "favorites" that I should post about a favorite children's book.  Then I thought I had written enough for a day....  Well, today, I may post a couple times if I get ambitious, but I will start this morning by making a couple favorite Children's book lists.  I am sure all of you are familiar with my favorites, but maybe there will be a couple you have not read, and want to try.  One of my favorite children's books was introduced to me by a friend in this same way.  So... here goes.

Favorite Picture Books
  • Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak*
  • Good Night Moon - Margaret Wise Brown
  • So You Want To Be President - Judith St George & illus. by David Small*
  • Joseph Had a Little Overcoat - Simms Taback*
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - Also By Simms Taback-**
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs -  Judi Barrett & illus. by Ron Barrett 
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type - Doreen Cronin & illus. by Betsy Lewin**
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack and Duck for President - Also by Doreen Conin 
  • No, David! - David Shannon**
  • How I Became a Pirate - David Shannon
  • Officer Buckle and Gloria - Peggy Rathman*
  • The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales - Jon Scieszka & illus. by Lane Smith**
  • The Polar Express - Chris Van Alsberg*  (Anything by Mr. Van Alsberg is worth reading)
  • A Chair for My Mother - Vera B. Williams**
  • Ox-Cart Man - Donald Hall & illus. by Barbara Cooney*
  • Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears - illus. by Leo & Dianne Dillon*
  • Arrow to the Sun - Gerald McDermott*
  • Casey at the Bat - Ernest Thayer & illus. by Christopher Bing**
  • Sylvester and the Magic Pebble - William Steig*
  • Swimmy - Leo Lionni**
  • Blueberries For Sal - Robert McCloskey**
  • Make Way for Ducklings - Robert McCloskey*
  • The Quilt Maker's Gift - Jeff Brumbeau & illus. by Gail de Marcken
  • Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney
  • Love You Forever - Robert N. Munsch and Sheila McGraw
  • A House for Hermit Crab - Eric Carle
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault
  • Frog and Toad are Friends - Arnold Lobel
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day - Judith Viorst & illus. by Ray Cruz
  • Miss Nelson is Missing - Harry Allard & illus. by James Marshall
  • Good Night, Gorilla - Peggy Rantham
  • Stelleluna - Jane Cannon
  • Verde - Jane Cannon
  • Amelia Bedelia - Peggy Parish & illus. by Fritz Seibel
  •  Harry the Dirty Dog - Gene Zion & illus. by Margaret Bloy Graham
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - Laura Numeroff & Felicia Bond
  • The Wide Mouth Frog: a Pop - up Book - Keith Faulkner (Must use voices :))
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt - Michael Rosen & Helen Oxenbury
  • My Little Book About God - Jane Werner Watson & Eloise Wilkin
  • Oh the Places You'll Go - Dr. Seuss
  • Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Seuss 
  • The Little House - Virginia May Burton*
*Caldecott Medal Winner
**Caldecott Honor 


I would have to say that right now my favorite on this list is The Quilt Maker's Gift.  This book is absolutely beautiful!  It was a Book Sense Book of the Year.  The illustrations are so amazing!  The story is about a King who is told he must give away all his possessions in order to receive the ultimate gift, a quilt from the mystical quilt maker.  It is an endearing story about giving and receiving, and what it is that will make us truly happy.  Read it!  I know you will LOVE it!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Great choices! One of my all time favorites is "Fanny's Dream". It makes me cry every time but I think it has a great message. Check it out!

the lunch lady said...

The Skippy Jon Jones books are my current read aloud favorites.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

the "pre" book to the Quiltmaker is quite wonderful as well- and we like Skippy jon jones at this house too-