9/5/08

Friday's Favorites




I thought I would start a new post each Friday.  Kind of like a newspaper column.  I am calling it "Friday's Favorites."  In here, I am going to just talk about things that I really like or enjoy.  It may be a movie, a book, a recipe, a restaurant, or even little things that make me smile.  
This week I am going to share two of my favorites.  
First, I am going to post a recipe that a friend of mine gave me.  This is a fresh salsa, but Tamzen calls it Mexican Caviar.  Thanks Tamzen for one of my new favorite things!

Mexican Caviar

Dressing:
1/2 C oil
1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Salt


Mix dressing, then add:
2 Cans (16 oz) black beans - drained and rinsed
2 Cans (11 oz) Mexican Style Corn 
1/2 C Chopped Scallions

Marinade, stirring a few times, at least three hours.

Just before serving add:
1 Large Tomato
1 Avocado, halved, pitted , Peeled, and Chopped

Enjoy!

* A couple changes I like:
1. Tamzen told me you could use regular sweet corn, instead of Mexican.  I like this, because I am not a big fan of Mexican Corn.  So I use Niblets.
2. I also add the juice of one lime.  This not only adds to the flavor, but helps keep the avocados green.
3. Occasionally I put in two avocados, depending on their size.

Also, if pressed for time, this can be made all at once without marinading.  Though it is best marinated.



!WARNING!  This stuff is addictive!

The other thing I wanted to share is one of my favorite vacation spots.  Many of you know that my husband and I went to the Bahamas last year.  And I have had a lot of people ask me to give details about where we went.  We stayed on an island called Long Island.  It is an "out island" of the Bahamas.  It takes a little planning to get there, but it is worth it.  The retreat we stayed at was called The Cape Santa Maria Resort.  The island itself has a population of about 4000 people.  It is eighty miles long and as much as four miles wide.  It has the cerulean calm seas of the Caribbean on the west side and the deep, sapphire blue  waters of the Atlantic on the east.  The resort we stayed at is located on the caribbean side.  The water was like warm bath water, and the sand was like baby powder - super soft and white.  It was upper 80's while we were there, but the trade winds were constantly blowing, so even if you are hot, you are instantly cooled down.  Our little bungalow was ten feet from the beach, and about forty feet from the water.  The food was fabulous, and you could even have one of the workers there climb up a coconut tree and have fresh coconut if you wanted to.  The locals were very friendly, and even gave us fresh mangos (a totally different fruit, in my opinion, than we have here) right from their own trees.  We found the most beautiful white sand dollars, and other various shells.  The bonefishing is a total kick, even if you don't normally fish.  It isn't cheap, but having "Docky" guide you on your fishing adventure was well worth it for us.  His web address is:  www.bonafidebonefishing.com  It is so beautiful on Long Island!  It truly feels like paradise!  If you want to find a place for your next romantic or family getaway, go to this website: www.capesantamaria.com.  Also, as a stopover on our trip, we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Nassau called A Stones Throw Away (www.astonesthrowaway.com).  It was really nice, and that combined with this little restaurant close by called The Traveller's Rest, (they serve an amazing dessert called Guava Cake - pure ecstasy!) have convinced me that if/when we go again, I would allow for two nights at this quant place instead of one.  Well, I hope you all enjoyed Friday's Favorites!  Oh, and I would love for you to share your "favorites" with me!


13 comments:

the lunch lady said...

I, too, am a recent convert to Cowboy Caviar. I actually posted about it in July!

Robin said...

I will have to try that recipe this week. I love the photos you took. All the pretty glass bowls and neat little sprinkling of salt.

I would love to go to your little paradise.

R A C H A E L said...

I LOVE that mexican caviar. I am going make some tomorrow. The bahamas sound wonderful. I will try and visualize that has my new 'happy place'. Look forward to more friday faves installments!!

Berly said...

I can't wait to try that recipe. YUM!!!! Also, I want to go to the bahamas. Especially now when the weather is changing.

Kristen said...

That looks so yummy. I've had it before but never got the recipe so thanks! The bahamas look amazing too. We definitely need another vacation.

Jen and Kent said...

What a terrific idea!!!! I loved hearing about your favorites and can't wait until next friday!

Julie said...

I too will try that recipe immediately! It looks wonderful and even for Steve, who is hard to feed at best, it is perfect! My favorite vacation spot so far is Prague. Such a beautiful and romantic city! We stayed near the castle and took moonlit walks into the old town. I have yet to find another more beautiful city in Europe! Try it!

Liz said...

Ok Julie, are you kidding? I would love to go to Prague, or anywhere in Europe, really. But is there fly-fishing in Prague? Or close by? After a deployment, or next major vacation has to be somewhere where he can throw line. Sounds nice though!

Anonymous said...

Is that what you made at Mom and Dad's over the 4th of July? I loved it!!!

Liz said...

Yes it is Julie! It is so good! I love it!

Amalitta Gamlieli said...

okay so I would also like to inform everyone not to mistake 1/2 tsp. of salt with 1/2 c. of salt... haha cuz I bet there are SOME people that could get confused with that, or maybe not and SOME people are really retarded :) Who would do such a thing. ha. well, I do have to agree that this salsa is pretty amazing, with the right amount of salt. It's the perfect snack when you feel like you need something fresh :)
xoxo

Tamzen Fleming said...

The lime juice sound good, I will have to try it. The red wine vinegar also works to keep the avacados from browning. I always make extra and I enjoy it day two even better than day one, all of the flavors marry together so well!

Tamzen Fleming said...

Oh, and I am so going to take Lee to that island. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking for traveling tips!