10/21/08

Past Due Favorites


Well, I have neglected my Fridays Favs for two weeks, so I am going to put one of my favorite recipes and a new song that's worth your time.

First, I am going to post my Homemade Cinnamon Roll recipe.  The dough recipe for this is from The Lion House Cookbook.  I also use this recipe for Dinner Rolls, as it was written for.  (I will give my tips for great dinner rolls at the end of the recipe.)

2 T dry yeast
2 Cups warm water
1/3 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup softened or melted butter
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 C dry milk
5-6 Cups flour
1 egg

Floss

1 stick of softened butter
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon

In a large electric mixture combine yeast and water.  Let stand until yeast breaks down and becomes frothy...about 5 minutes.  Add sugar, butter, salt, dry milk, 2 cups of flour, and the egg.  Beat together until smooth.  Add the remaining flour, a half a cup at a time.  Reserve the last half cup for kneading and rolling into rolls.  You want the dough to be slightly sticky, so stop adding the flour when it is workable, but still a little sticky.  Knead until workable and smooth, but again with  little stickiness.  Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a dishcloth soaked in HOT water and wrung out.  This will help it raise a little quicker.  Raise to about double or triple size.  Shape into rolls.

*Rolls shape easier when you stretch and pull small amounts into balls rather than rolling the dough between your hands.  The rolling technique frequently results in bumpy rolls.  Taking the small clump of dough in both hands, put your thumbs together, and stretch outward, turning the edges under toward the center.  You may repeat this as necessary to create a smooth roll.

*If you are going to make cinnamon rolls, roll the dough with a rolling pin into a large rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.  Now, you are going to take a stick of soft butter and spread it gradually onto the dough.  (Ignore how much butter you are going to use.)  You may not use a whole stick, but the result you want is a smooth, slightly thick layer of softened butter.  This helps the filling stay in the rolls and not seep out during baking.  Next, you are going to take brown sugar, and create a similar affect as you did with the butter, a smooth slightly thick layer of brown sugar.  Pat it into the butter so you only see the brown sugar.  Then sprinkle liberally
with cinnamon.  Now, from the long side of the rectangle,  start to roll.  Once the dough is rolled together, try to pinch the loose edge into the roll.  Now, pull a good piece of floss free.  Lift the edge of the roll up and place the floss underneath it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in.  Wrap the floss around the dough, cross it over itself, and pull till it cuts through the dough.  Carefully pick up the individual roll, and place it in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.  Continue until all the rolls are cut.
 Bake at 375 for about 18 minutes or until browned.

When cooled, frost with a Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 package reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 Cup softened butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
Powdered Sugar

Cream the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.  Add the Vanilla.  While beating the frosting, gradually add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it is sweet enough for your taste.  This will be a few cups or more.  

These are so amazing!  They take some time, but they are worth the effort!  One of my favorites!

Second, I have recently purchased several songs from the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack.  Ironically enough, one of my favorites is called "Liz on Top of the World."  This music is romantic, and so soothing.  I love to fall to sleep to it, or just have it on at night.  It is really peaceful.  Enjoy!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

can I just say "Yum!!!!!" How you have the time I just don't know but these look amazing - you're kids are so lucky!

Amber Jensen said...

Looks yummy! We will definitely give it a try. Although with out A/C I haven't used my oven much. I think those cinnamon rolls will be worth it.

Robin said...

tell me the truth...did you take that amazing picture!?

Nikky said...

just thought i'd say...i love you liz and thanks again for everything. ahhh :). Have a wonderful day xoxo

Nikky said...

I love you liz...jut thought i'd say that :). thanks again for everything....ahhh :) ...wow. Anyway, have a wonderful day! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love the music to Pride and Prejudice! What are your other favorites? I probably have at least 10 that I really like. I'm trying to decide if I might as well buy the whole album. The cinnamon rolls sound delicious!

Liz said...

Robin, I would love to say yes, I took the picture, but...I can't. However, the rolls do look very much like that. Does that count? And Julie, I also bought Mrs. Darcy and Dawn. Though I really like the album in general. I think I may buy the whole thing too!

Amalitta Gamlieli said...

nummy... although i dont think those would be allowed in my house who know, maybe when i move out i will just have to make them, ha. anyway so ya that song is way pretty, today i was looking through old cds and i found that ballet cd from when u were here with the songs from like finding neverland, and i dont remember where the others were from, haha it made me think of you... awe :) ha, ya u definetely top ms. deb haha, IM SO SERIOUS. and not just saying that to make you feel good ;) anyway love you tons, ur my hero! xoxo