10/8/08

Proposition 8

Well, I know I am getting very political today, but I wanted to just share a couple thoughts and a video I just received about Proposition 8, a proposition on the ballot in California. This proposition, if you are unfamiliar, will stop the legalization of gay marriage in the state of California. When I first heard about this, I of course felt it was something important, and right, but that the issue, at least for the moment, was not in my neighborhood, so to speak. Because it was not something I could vote on right now, I think I was storing it the back of my mind, hoping it would not spread to my area. Really, I did not give it a lot of contemplative thought. I know the rest of the country frequently follows California, but what could I do about it? I don't live there. Then when I went up to Washington for Amalitta's baptism, and attended sacrament meeting, I was surprised to hear the stake president speak a little about Proposition 8. He said he had recently attended a regional leadership meeting for the church, where they were given a letter about the importance of this proposition. He explained that the church is very involved in getting out the vote for this. He said that in California, each ward is given the responsibility of calling every person within their ward boundaries, obviously no small number in California, to encourage them to vote in favor of Proposition 8. I was surprised to hear a church leader talking about political things in a sacrament meeting, but he talked about why this is so important, quoting frequently The Family a Proclamation to the World. He talked about the fact that the church sees this as spreading to other states, and as Washington is close in proximity and politics with California, it was important that people under his guidance understood just what was at stake, namely the degeneration and degradation of the family. Then, today, I received this video from my sister-in-law (thanks, Cati) and wanted to share it with you. This brings it home for me. I consider myself a tolerant, loving person. But when other people's beliefs come home to my kids and family, without my consent, I draw the line. I believe that God has ordained marriage to be between a man and a woman. If someone wants to live outside His law, I do not call myself their judge, but I can do this without supporting their lifestyle choice. This video is very compelling, in that it demonstrates that an act like supporting legalized gay marriage enforces, by law, the normality, and indeed the moral equality of such an institution, thereby undermining God. Watch it. It will be worth your time. We may not all be able to vote on this, but if it fails in California, the same fight may be coming to our own states, cities, and neighborhoods.

3 comments:

R A C H A E L said...

Makes me so scared. AZ has a similar proposition. They called all the Bishops in the area (my Dad is a bishop) and told them to make sure everyone in thier ward who could vote is registered to vote. They make them aware of the issues, and my Mom went to everyone's home with early ballot registration.

This will devistate our nation. To think that they would indoctrinate our children, and then tell us we have no choice in the matter, it makes my blood boil. Wrong. If they try that with my kids, it would be enough for me to take them out of the public school system. I hate it when the minority controls the majority. Political correctness has ruined a lot of good things in this country.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I don't know what else to say Liz. That is unbelievable. I think that a fight is coming and we as Latter Day Saints, in particular, better be ready!

Anonymous said...

Liz, I'll rant a little today too. I guess this whole gay marriage issue brings up one reason maybe to be excited to vote. In these next 4 years there will be new judges put in. I about think the judicial branch of government has the most power. So maybe be excited to vote for someone who will hopefully put in judges who support what you feel most passionate about. Right at the top of the list would be protecting our families. Then find people running for Congress to get excited about because, your right, they are really messed up and that needs to change. Anyway, there is my rant! Love ya!